Sunday, December 2, 2012

Breaks

The best feeling of my teenage life so far has always been the day before a break from school. Whether it is Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, or even Summer I never fail to feel fantastic when the bell rings, dismissing me from my last class before a much needed vacation from school. I was particularly excited this year when I finished my practice essay in AP Lang and I was anticipating the bell that signaled my freedom for the 9 days we called Thanksgiving break. I was so excited because I knew my family was leaving for Fort Collins, Colorado the next morning.

Each year, my family and I travel to Colorado, usually for a week, to visit two of my dad’s brothers. We stay with my uncle Mike, his wife, Rosanne, and their 2 kids Kate and Jack. Their other daughter, Maggie, goes to college at the University of Wyoming which is about an hour away from their house. Jack plays hockey and Kate is a cheerleader at her high school. I enjoy staying with them because my uncle and dad are so much alike and they are both really funny. Another bonus to staying with their family is Kate and I are really close. She’s a senior in high school so we deal with a lot of the same stuff in life. Mostly boys. It’s nice to have someone to talk with.

While we were in Colorado this time, we went to Estes Park which is where the wildfires occurred. There are still trees that are charred. The DNR makes “fire stoppers” which are really just big piles of wood, almost like a bonfire, that are there for the fire to burn instead of spreading more. Estes Park is also home to the Stanley Hotel, famous for the movie “The Shining”. It’s also a tradition for my family to go to Casa Bonita in Denver. Casa Bonita is a tourist attraction, restaurant, and place of entertainment all bundled into one huge, pink building.

At the end of the week, it’s sad to pack up my clothes and say goodbye to family I love so much. We loaded the car to leave Colorado at 7 in the morning, Colorado time, on Saturday. I slept most of the way home because we left early and the drive from Colorado to Iowa is boring. We pulled into my driveway at 8 PM, Iowa time. If you do the math, that makes the drive 12 hours including stopping for food and gas.

The worst feeling of my teenage life so far has always been the day before school starts again after a break. It’s Sunday night and you turn your alarm back on, pack your school bag, and pick what you’re going to wear the next day. I hate waking up to the obnoxious buzz of my alarm clock. The same obnoxious buzz signaling me to wake up and get ready to go back to prison until the next vacation or break.

(502)

No comments:

Post a Comment