Monday, April 8, 2013

Kids


I love kids of all ages: newborns, toddlers, and even elementary school aged kids. I love to spend my Friday nights babysitting and I would rather babysit than go out with friends.  Babysitting is enjoyable for me because I don’t look at is at a job but rather a time to play with younger children and make sure they stay safe while their parents are gone. My favorite thing to do while I’m babysitting is to build a fort for the kid or kids. No matter the age, they can always find something to do in a fort. Babysitting, for me, is also fun because it’s practice for when I get married and start a family.

My love for kids also contributes to wanting to be a neonatologist. A neonatologist works with infants in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). A few reasons for a child to be admitted to the NICU could be heart problems, under developed organs, respiratory issues, or severe illnesses. I always knew I wanted to be a pediatrician. It wasn't until I was 9 years old that I decided on specializing in neonatology. I entered an essay writing contest about what I wanted to be when I grew up. My essay scored in the top 9 so I got to job shadow with someone in my profession choice. I was placed with Dr. Scott Nau, a well-known local pediatrician. He is one doctor that works in the NICU. He showed me an incubator and how they work as well as how small the diapers and pacifiers of newborns and premature babies are. Although this part of the day kind of scared me, it made me want to be a pediatrician even more because I liked the thought of helping innocent babies and their families. I haven't changed anything about what I want to be when I get older since I shadowed Dr. Nau.  

(318)

No comments:

Post a Comment