Sunday, April 28, 2013

Prom Season


Tis the season for prom dresses, tuxedos, and hair updos!

If you’re like me, you love prom because of all the photos you have at your disposal to “creep on.” Your Facebook friends make new photo albums. The preppy girl you follow on Instagram posts a billion gagillion photos at once. Twitter becomes an easy access photo timeline. I, as an underclassmen waiting for her turn to post prom photos, enjoy this part of the school year very much.

It started about a month ago when girls starting showing photos of their dresses on their hangers around to other, likely envious, girls at school. I, an envious girl, judged them from the get go. Not enough sparkle. Really? Pick ups? Could you reveal any more of yourself to me? You’re gonna wear that color when your skin tone is that of a ghost? As I got more and more bitter, the judgments got more and more harsh. That dress is too plain. That dress has too much going on. You really think that’s going to flatter your body? Think again. I can’t say I’m glad I judged so many dresses, I can say I’m glad I was wrong about many of them that I did judge before seeing them on a person.

Prom was held on different nights according to the school you attend. Wash had their prom on April 20th. Kennedy, Jefferson, and Prairie had their prom on April 27th. On the day of Kennedy’s prom, I was en route to St. Louis, Missouri for the last regular season NHL game between the Chicago Blackhawks and the St. Louis Blues. Thanks to social networking, however, I didn’t miss anything from prom. Girls started preparing early. I saw as hair went from birds nest in the morning, to elegant updos by early afternoon. Yoga pants and sweatshirts were shed as beautiful girls donned their formal gowns with pride.

It wasn’t long after pictures began emerging on my timelines that I began regretting the negative things I said about many dresses. With a few exceptions, each dress flattered body shapes, accentuated the ladies assets, and made each female prom goer look stunning. No dress was like another. No high school girl looked the same.

As for the males that attended prom, they waited until they absolutely HAD to get ready to put on a tux and go meet their date. The tux game was just as diverse and unique as the dress game this year. Some wore white, some gray, some the traditional black. No matter what anyone wore, everyone looked fantastic. Seeing the great memories that were made in just one night really gets me excited for the year to come. Hopefully, some underclassman will “creep” on my many prom pictures saying how stunning I look and how beautiful my dress is. Someone will be envious of me and my date as we walk in the Grand March.  Someone will see me and want to look as gorgeous as I do for their prom. It seems like yesterday I was walking into Kennedy for the first time and now I’m getting excited for prom next year. It’s crazy how time flies.

(531)

No comments:

Post a Comment