Sunday, September 30, 2012

Homecoming Happened

Homecoming 2012 was a disappointment to me and I'm sure others as well. The pretty and not so pretty dresses, the handsome and less handsome boys, and the hovering staff members were all cause for talk of homecoming. The problems started early in the night when everyone was having a good time which staff had no problem ruining. The lights suddenly turned on and the music stopped. It was then that Mr. Johnson (associate principal, not math teacher) got on the microphone giving us a firm warning that our dancing was inappropriate and people would be kicked out if it didn't change. Unfortunately, they weren't kidding. Over 30 people were kicked out within 10 minutes. A group of upperclassmen went to the head honcho her self, Dr. Wilcynski complaining about how lame the dance was and she gave us permission to dance how we wanted. This of course upset the staff members who were trying to enforce the new rules.

Soon the cafeteria smelled of B.O, alcohol, and teen spirit! Ha. Who am I kidding? It was just B.O. and alcohol. It was raining glitter and flower petals, the DJ played horrible music, and despite the new rules, I still saw under dresses. If the ladies would have just taken my advice and come in a nun costume, I wouldn't have talked so much smack about half of the dresses there and I wouldn't have seen that one girl's lime green spandex numerous times.

Although homecoming really sucked, it was made a ton better because of the people I went with and saw there. Friends that have moved away came back for the dance and made it a memorable dance. Soon word spread of the "Senior Party" after the dance which was sure to be a great time. Unfortunately, my friend and I were invited to said party but instead spent our time after homecoming with a few other friends having a great time on our own.

It seems like homecoming gets worse each year. New rules, stricter staff members, and shorter dresses. This year might have been the worst though because of the confusion of dancing, people getting kicked out, and the first 30 minutes of awkwardness when boys and girls were separated and no one was dancing. I hope WPA this spring is much better than homecoming and I also hope the staff at Kennedy realizes that we're going to dance however we want no matter what they say because this isn't the 1950's. There's a little bit of slut in each and every one of us and where did we get it? From none other than our elders. The very same elders that are trying to stop us from dancing "inappropriately." Talk about double standard....

(456)

1 comment:

  1. I've never thought that homecoming was that great either.I actually didn't go this year because it seems like what is supposed to be an incredibly fun night, always turns into a tornado of drama and people making small issues out to be much bigger than they are. I would have to agree about the whole dancing thing though. If restictions keep coming up about dancing, I feel like we are just going to turn to Linn-Mar and make our own "Grind Fest".

    ReplyDelete