Thursday, September 6, 2012

Zookie

If you aren't from the Cedar Rapids area, or even if you are, you might not be aware of the deliciousness we call the "Zookie." A local pizzeria, Zoey's, is credited with this heavenly, calorie-filled, sinful dessert. Seriously, look at this.
WHAT COULD GO WRONG? Nothing. The answer... is NOTHING. Let me rewind. 


*rewinding sound*

On Sunday, I received horrible, heartbreaking news. By heartbreaking, I do mean my heart really did break. That's as far as I"m going because I refuse to make this a diary post. Last night, my mom decided to take me out for a girls night, my best friend, Nicole, included. Our evening started at Applebee's where our waiter had no sense of humor, wouldn't let us do two checks to use two coupons, and was obviously not happy to be at work. Unfortunately, he took it out on us so we returned the favor. My mother only left a 15% tip. (Sorry, Bud!) Beyond our sucky waiter, we had a great time. Mom enjoyed some great beef nachos. I enjoyed one or two of them as well. Nicole had a 9 ounce sirloin and I ate entirely too much pasta.  Dinner conversation consisted of jokes, talk of boys, and laughing probably louder than acceptable in a restaurant. I apologize if you were in Applebee's at the same time as us. Applebee's has a similar dessert to the Zookie. Please observe:



Not even close to the Zookie. I'm sure you now understand why we left Applebee's and drove a little over five minutes to Zoey's. 

A breakdown of The Zookie:
  • One Chocolate chip cookie 
    • Size of a small pizza 
    • Deep dish pan
    • Said cookie (see above) is barely cooked through giving you the "melt in my mouth" sensation. Straight out of the oven, the heat radiates off the cookie and the chocolate chips are still melting.
  • Three scoops of vanilla ice cream
    • BIG SCOOPS
    • Drizzled with a ton of chocolate syrup
  • Three dollops of whip cream
    • Just kidding. They're more like heaps.
Mom, Nicole and I walk into Zoey's ready to demolish the Zookie. After what seemed like an hour (about five or ten minutes), our waitress brings our Zookie to the table. We stared for a moment and all at once, dove in. It took the three of us fifteen minutes to finish the Zookie. Proof:
If you live in Cedar Rapids and are having a bad day, week, month, or need an excuse to splurge Zoey's is the place to go. Order a Zookie. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment